This is where one woman explores. She's embarking upon a journey of rediscovery (bear with me..). Learning to re-nourish the mind and body and find inner, ahem, peace...
Bienvenue.


"It's never too late to become what you might have been." George Eliot

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

in check

 It's supposed to be a crustless pumpkin pie.  It turned out to be much like a pudding (partly because I don't own a pie plate and put it into a small cake pan).  I think since eliminating wheat from my diet, my taste buds have become more sensitive and I'd been craving pumpkin for some bizarre reason.  It has to do with enjoying food more - I imagine that's because the urgency to eat and the tendency to overeat are vastly diminished.  

It's good.  I ate two small bowls of pie yesterday evening and really appreciated the texture and taste sensation (did I just say, 'taste sensation'?).  Pumpkin, full-fat coconut milk, coconut flour (just a touch), eggs, spices, and coconut palm sugar (not ideal, but....) - baked for about an hour...  

So, we've been eating so-so...

Thursday we went out for Thai..I had the Cashew Chicken without the noodles - can't be sure the sauce was completely wheat-free, but....

Friday for supper we were invited to my sister's house - salmon, salad, and veggies - red wine, of course...I brought a butternut squash and apple soup thickened with full-fat coconut milk.  

Saturday evening we had pork tenderloin with a cauliflower mash and a veggie stir fry...white white, of course.   

Sunday my mom wanted to order pizza and she very kindly ordered one for us with a gluten free crust - it was really good, even though I know there are other starches in the crust.  

Last night we had a thick meat sauce with shirataki noodles - soothing and filling.     

I haven't noticed much weight loss, but I'm so happy in the knowledge that we're eating really nutritious food.  I'm starting to relax into this new way of eating and I'm not fussing to create huge inventive meals  - no time, sadly.  I'm also trying to steer away from replacing wheat favourites with the alternatives - I want to focus on real, unprocessed food - veggies, meats, fruit, and eggs.  





1 comment:

  1. LOVE your comment about eating more real foods!!! I agree!!! I did this for about a year, just gave up all breads, etc and concentrated on eating real foods. Then I took a week-long cruise and gave myself permission to take a "holiday". Hmmm. Tough to get back. Then I had some teeth surgery and eating crunchy foods like the salads I love has been tough, but on Tuesday I'll have back hopefully God willing my teeth again, and plan to go back to my better way of eating. But this time I do plan to give myself some "treats" like I find on Gourmet Girl Cooks blog--biscuits, pizza, chicken pot pie, cookies--but made with almond flour and no cane sugar. And I hope this will make the real difference. In our program we were encouraged to have the odd treat too, and that helps. But hopefully the more I can make "treats" without wheat and with healthy ingredients, I'm hoping I can stay eating this way, and hopefully find better health too long-term (I deal with a great deal of chronic pain).

    This pumpkin pudding/pie sounds GREAT.

    Best wishes,

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete